Jasper Visitor’s Info for the Icefield Centre at Columbia Icefield
The Icefield Centre in Jasper National Park has just opened up for the season (May 1 to mid-October). This is a great place to learn all about Jasper National Park and the wonder that is the Columbia Icefield. It’s a great stop on any Canadian Rockies vacation, and perfect for anyone, especially families.
To get more info once you’re actually at the Icefield Centre, you’ll have to go to he Parks Canada Information counter, on the concourse level of the Icefield Centre. Here you can get info on all aspects of Jasper National Park. Below you’ll find some helpful information on the Icefield Centre.
- Parking is available both to the north (cars, vans and motor homes) of the Icefield Centre and to the south (buses only).
- Snocoach Tours operate daily throughout the summer. Visitors can get out and explore the 300-metre-thick sheet of ice during a short stop in the middle of the glacier allows. Reservations: (403) 762-6735; fax (403) 762-6765.
- You can take an icewalk , led by a certified mountain guide, that leaves daily from the Toe-of-the-Glacier parking lot. Get tickets and reservations are available at the Icefield Chalet Hotel front desk or by reservation at (800) 565-7547 or (780) 852-5595.
- You’ll find a gift shop is located across from the Parks Canada Information counter on the concourse level of the centre.
- Neither postal nor banking services are available at the Icefield Centre. The closest services can be found in Jasper town site or Lake Louise. An ATM is available and postcards can be left at the gift shop.
- Toilets are on the concourse level beside the phones. Dry toilets are available in the lower parking lot.
- Public telephones are inside the Icefield Centre and in the lower parking lot.
- Picnic tables are available both in the lower parking lot and on the viewing deck. Please do not feed the birds. Feeding wildlife is unlawful and can result in fines.
- The nearest gas station is 52 km south at Saskatchewan River Crossing (seasonal only). Keep an eye out “next gas” signs along the Icefields Parkway as you leave Jasper and Lake Louise.
- A restaurant and cafeteria can be found on the second floor of the building.
- Hotel Accommodation is available in the Icefield Centre from May 1 until mid-October.