10 Things to Do in Jasper Townsite, Canadian Rockies
Jasper National Park, Alberta
By Caroline Shin
The small townsite of Jasper quietly hums at the center of Jasper National Park. Surrounded by the snow-capped Canadian Rocky mountains, Jasper houses a warm community life and hotel accommodations. Enjoy a number of activities to fill up your time between your outdoors adventures or in the evenings.
1. Jasper Information Center. Make this your first stop. Find out about all the seasonal activities, current trail conditions and a general orientation to the town. Pick up brochures and maps for all of Jasper National Park’s attractions.
2. Jasper Yellowhead Museum. Absorb some Jasper history. Follow the area’s rich history from its earliest visitors 10,000 years ago. The Jasper Museum includes exhibits on the fur trade, the railways, and early tourism. Take some history back home with some souvenirs at the gift shop.
3. Jasper Train Station. Grab some train schedules for side trips while admiring the quaint trains here. Watch the occasional freight trains that pass by. Centrally located on Connaught Drive, the Jasper train station is a great starting point for exploring Jasper townsite by foot.
4. Take a stroll. Walk down the main streets of Connaught Drive and Patricia Street and take little detours into the side streets. Breathe in the fresh mountain air and take photos of the surrounding mountains. Make pit stops at the many shops, restaurants, and guided tour offices.
5. Take a hike. For a deeper immersion into Jasper’s nature, explore the Discovery Trail, an easy new hiking trail that wraps around the perimeter of the Jasper townsite.
6. Rent a bike. Stop off at the several bike shops in town. Ride around Jasper and plan a ride on some of the bike trails connected to the townsite area. Enjoy stunning mountain views while you’re pedaling away.
7. Go shopping. From ski and snowboard shops to bridal wear and accessories and ship-building crafts and hobbies, Jasper offers various options to satisfy your shopaholic bug. Make sure to stock up on hiking snacks and water as well.
8. Take a dip. The Jasper Aquatic Centre has an indoor pool, whirlpool and wading pool. Many of the hotels have swimming pools, too.
9. Dine out. Jasper townsite has an assortment of dining options. Choose from home-style dining to pizza to seafood. North American, Italian, or even Korean cuisine. For a fancy affair, check out the dining rooms in the Jasper Park Lodge. For views, try the restaurant at the top of the Jasper Tramway.
10. Plan your next adventure. Take some time to select your next activity, be it hiking, skiing, boating, or wildlife watching. For some extra help, feel free to stop into a few of the tourist offices in town.