Procrastinator’s Guide to Jasper
Did you wait until the last minute to decide what you were going to do on your Jasper vacation, and are now sitting on the computer in you hotel room trying to decide what to do with your rapidly diminishing vacation time? Or maybe you just drove out to the Canadian Rockies on a whim, and are trying to figure out what to do. Here’s a quick guide to a number of Jasper National Park vacation options.
- Bike or hike the Lake Annette Loop (check the Jasper Information Centre for conditions and trail advisories).
- Shop it up! Check out the many quaint and unique boutiques and gift shops in Jasper.
- Learn about Jasper’s history at the Yellowhead Museum and Archives
- Check out Alberta’s natural beauty on display at the Wildlife Den in the Whistler’s Inn.
- Take a stroll around Jasper; enjoy the views of the Rocky Mountains. Grab an ice cream cone or some homemade fudge and sit on one of the many benches located throughout Jasper.
- Go for a picnic. You can pick up a picnic lunch at one of Jasper’s fine restaurants, lay your blanket down on the Information Centre lawn and relax.
- Take a town tour in Jasper’s newest and greenest transportation, Jasper Pedi-Cab.
- Enjoy a Jasper Motorcycle Tours experience. Offered for the first time in the Canadian Rockies. Experience a chauffeured Harley Davidson sidecar tour that is a thrill and adventure for all ages.
- Hike Old Fort Point Loop (check the Information Centre for conditions and trail advisories).
- Visit Maligne Canyon, where you’ll find hiking trails for people of all levels.
- Visit Athabasca Falls
- Go see a movie in the evening at the Chaba Theatre.
- Shop till you drop at Jasper’s charming stores.
- See the sights of Jasper National Park from horseback or tour Jasper townsite on a carriage ride.
- Visit Maligne Canyon, hike over the six bridges, viewing the limestone gorges and waterfalls.
- Check out Jasper Peak Attraction, the Jasper Tramway, for an aerial view of Jasper and Athabasca Valley
- Hike the Valley of the Five Lakes (check the Information Centre for conditions and trail advisories).
- See and hear birds as never before on a guided birding tour!
- Enjoy the scenic drive to Mount Edith Cavell and hike the easy path to the bottom of Angel Glacier or hike to the meadows and for a bird’s eye view of Angel Glacier.
- Drive to Maligne Lake, take a boat cruise and visit an icon of Jasper, Spirit Island or rent a canoe, fish or hike to a choice of alpine meadows (check the Information Centre for conditions and trail advisories).
- Drive the scenic Icefields Parkway to the Columbia Icefield and go onto the Athabasca glacier in an ice buggy.
- Want to try cliff diving? Head to Horseshoe Lake on the Ice Parkway for some adrenaline pumping fun! (Jump/swim at your own risk)
- From mild to wild, try whitewater rafting or a river float trip with one of many Jasper rafting companies.
- Take a dip in the Miette Hot Springs and let the warm water relax every muscle.
- Check out Jasper Peak Attraction, the Jasper Tramway, for an aerial view of Jasper and Athabasca Valley. Dine in the Treeline restaurant at the top of Whistler’s Mountain.
- Hike one of the many longer trails around Jasper (you can obtain a Summer Trails brochure/map from the Information Centre).